1. Don’t level up low HP Pokémon – As your own level gets higher in the game you will start finding higher rated. So don’t waste Candy and Stardust on boosting a 60CP Rattata’s stats when you’ll find a 200 one in a few day’s time.
2. Visit areas with multiple Pokéstops – You’ll be able to get an abundance of Pokémon appearing here in a short period of times: especially if you attach lures. It’s an easy way to stock up on Pokéballs too as the stops tend to reset every 5-10 mins.
3. Turn off the AR screen when after Pokémon – This will not only save your battery but you will also find it easier to catch them as they are in a more static position.
4. Get bonuses when throwing Pokémon – If you hold the ball and curve it as you throw then you will get extra XP which will help you level up faster.
6. Advice for when game crashes – One of the most annoying features is when you are about to catch a Pokémon and the app freezes. The best way to fix this is to quickly force quit and restart the app and it should come up as being caught in your Pokédex.
7. Use different Pokéballs – Using Great Balls instead of regular Pokéballs will enchance your chances of catching the Pokémon.
8. Use an incense – Just drop one on your avatar and Pokémon will start to appear around you. The incense works best when you’re out walking but doing it while in the house will still ensure that Pokémon will be drawn to you for 30 minutes.
9. Dropping a lure – If you’re going to be near a Pokéstop for more than 30 minutes then drop a lure and Pokémon will come flooding to you. This is an easy way to catch Pokémon and boost up your XP.
10. Lucky Eggs – Aim to use these ideally when evolving Pokémon as you tend to get 500XP normally for this or when you’re on a big Poké-spree. The eggs double your points so you really want to ensure that you make the most out of them.
11. Hatching Eggs – If you’re stuck on 1.9km and you want that extra 100m then just move your phone about your room and you’re avatar will end up walking. I’ve manged to gain a kilometre before just from doing this glitch so keep it in mind before heading outside.
12. Random Spawns – When looking at your map and you see grass moving it means that a Pokémon is in that vicinity.
13. Using the footsteps – This feature is currently broken at the moment but when the bug is fixed you’ll be able to track the Pokémon on your mini-map – the closer you get the less footprints there will be.
14. Beware of your surroundings – Okay so this may seem obvious but there have been so many videos of people walking into ponds, walls or even cars. Play the game but also keep safe because catching that Dratini isn’t going to be worth it when you’re in A&E…or maybe it is if you come across a Chansey or Nurse Joy. Mostly likely you won’t though.
15. Don’t evolve low CP Pokémon – As stated before you will find much higher levelled Pokémon the more you play it so don’t waste your Candy and hold out for a better rated version. Evolving does boost the CP but it can’t perform miracles so try to be patient and you’ll reap the rewards.
16. Avoiding attacks – Before your gym battle starts swipe to the side and attack and you should be able to sneak in an extra few hits.
17. Eeveelution – So you’ve got an Eevee and you know what one you want to turn it into, but how? The game doesn’t have evolution stones but instead you edit their names to Pyro (Flareon), Rainer (Vaporeon) and Sparky (Jolteon).
18. Adding different Pokémon to Gyms – If you come across a Gym that your team has won then you can donate a Pokémon to help protect it (don’t worry, you get it back). While you might think it’ll look cool having a Gym full of fire-types it’ll actually prove a hindrance if someone comes along with all water-types. Make sure you mix it up to give your team the best chance of keeping the stronghold.
19. Stealing Gyms – This is a sneaky move but one that can be done. Once a Gym has been defeated anyone can claim it, normally this will be the person who just won but if you’re also in that location you can beat them to it if you’re swift enough. Just don’t do it to me though because I’d be raging.
20. Before fighting match up your Pokémon – While this may seem obvious a lot of trainers just jump in with their highest rated team and assume they’ll win. CP and HP count for a lot but at the end of the day their type is the most important factor. Below I’ve listed a guide on what good for fighting against each type.
- Normal: Fighting
- Fire: Water, Ground, Rock
- Water: Electric, Grass
- Electric: Ground, Rock
- Grass: Fire, Ice, Poison, Flying, Bug
- Ice: Fire, Fighting, Rock, Steel
- Fighting: Flying, Psychic, Fairy
- Poison: Ground, Psychic
- Ground: Water, Grass, Ice
- Flying: Electric, Ice, Rock
- Psychic: Bug, Ghost
- Bug: Fire, Flying, Rock
- Rock: Water, Grass, Fighting, Ground, Steel
- Ghost: Ghost
- Dragon: Ice, Dragon, Fairy
- Steel: Fire, Fighting, Ground
- Fairy: Poison, Steel
Do you have any tricks or tips? Let me know in the comments below!